Employment in Pierce County
Communities are stronger when people work closer to where they live, and when we make use of everyone's talents. Increasing the number of good jobs locally is our main focus in economic development.
The Economic Development Department is focused on working with key community partners to help grow jobs in Pierce County. Our goal is for residents to have easy access to good paying jobs close to home and to reduce the daily out-flow of workers to jobs outside the County. These efforts include retaining local companies and helping them grow, and attracting new companies to locate here.
Business Pulse Survey
Pierce County businesses were surveyed in March 2019 for their perspectives on doing business here, and where things are headed for their company, industry, and region.
Who participated in the Pierce County Business Pulse Survey?
- 75% of responders were Business Owners/CEOs or key management decision makers
- A diverse sample of industry classifications and business locations participated in the survey
- 38% of the companies responding have 10 or fewer or employees, 31% have 11-50 employees, 15% have 51-249 employees, and 16% have over 250 employees
Pierce County Business Optimism is High
Top Five Business Challenges
- Attracting and retaining employees
- Revenue generation/sales
- Transportation infrastructure and congestion
- Workforce training
- Technology changes in my industry